Tyrone A. Duerr - Partner
Tyrone Duerr received a first class honours degree in political science from the University of Victoria in 1994. He obtained his law degree from Dalhousie University in 1997 and articled with Boyle and Company from 1997 to 1998. Tyrone was an associate of Boyle and Company from 1998 until he became a partner in 2005.
Since his call to the British Columbia Bar in 1998, Tyrone has practiced primarily in the areas of criminal, personal or accidental injury, insurance , municipal and estate law. He has appeared with or on behalf of his clients in all levels of court in British Columbia and handled criminal and personal injury matters for clients within the jurisdictions of British Columbia and Alberta and criminal matters in the Yukon. He has over twelve years experience prosecuting drug, immigration, tax and criminal offences on behalf of the federal crown and utilizes that experience to assist those persons charged with such offences.
Tyrone has assisted and continues to assist many clients with complicated injury claims within British Columbia, Alberta and Washington State, involving ICBC and various other insurers. He has represented clients that have suffered severe physical and psychological trauma and injury including post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, amputations, severe burns and disfigurement secondary to collisions or explosions, multiple complicated fractures requiring surgical fixation, severe internal injuries and a variety of complicated syndromes including fibromyalgia syndrome, chronic pain syndrome and thoracic outlet syndrome. He has brought claims against commercial haulers, nightclubs, uninsured motorists in BC and Alberta and assisted plaintiffs with claims involving ICBC's Underinsured Motorist Protection plan. He has also pursued several disability insurers for wrongfully withholding benefits from clients, successfully securing reinstatement of benefits, lump sum payouts and payments in settlement of legal costs and aggravated damages.
Tyrone was raised in Penticton and is a proud alumnus of Snowden Elementary School, Princess Margaret Junior Secondary and Penticton Secondary School. He is an avid kiteboarder and fly fisherman, though he also enjoys mountain biking, travelling and spending time in the beautiful Okanagan outdoors.
Matters that Tyrone would be happy to assist you with include the following:
• Defending accused persons charged with offences under the Criminal Code of Canada, the Youth Criminal Justice Act, the Motor Vehicle Act, the Controlled Drug and Substances Act, the Income Tax Actand the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
• Enforcing constitutional rights and securing constitutional remedies.
• Securing the release of accused persons on bail, varying bail, probation or conditional sentence orders.
• Representing accused persons at preliminary inquiries, trials and sentencing hearings.
• Pursuing compensation for damages resulting from accidents of all kinds (including those involving motor vehicles or unsafe premises).
• Securing compensation for victims of all sorts of injuries or conditions including serious or catastrophic injuries or illnesses, including amputations, chronic pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, paraplegia or quadriplegia, thoracic outlet syndrome and traumatic brain injury.
ESTATE LITIGATION MATTERS
• Contesting the distribution of an estate or validity of a Will.
• Undue influence or trust claims against estates.
MUNICIPAL LAW MATTERS
• Civil Enforcement of municipal bylaws.